Short term benefits
India generates about 620 million tonnes of crop residues having a great nutrient potential. At individual crop level, rice contributes the highest amount of 154 Mt gross residues followed by wheat (131 Mt). The disposal of crop residues, generated in large quantities, has become menace due to on-farm burning which, in turn, pollutes environment, causes land heating and killing of beneficial soil microorganisms and thereby reduction in productivity . The need of the hour is to prevent the burning of crop residues to conserve the environment , health & wellbeing of people and farm land has been achieved.
Long term Benefits
• Prevention of environmental Pollution by controlling emissions of noxious gases, CO2, methane & Nitrous oxide
• Promotion of better long term health benefits
• Usage of a waste product, straw, in packaging industry, manufacturing of paper, mulching, billets & pellet production, mushroom farming, housing & power production
• Creation of Localized power generation industry
• Creation of new jobs in industries using crop residue/straw
• Creation of an additional revenue source for farmers by sale of bales
The project is in its 3rd year of operation at Kallar Majri, Patiala where it was launched in Oct. 2017. The project launched in Fatehabad & Panipat, Haryana in Oct. 2018.
The project increased its reach to 3 more locations 2019 in Bhandara ( Maharashtra), Thanoud ( Chattisgarh), Pantnagar Agricultural University( Uttarakhand).